My only brother (my only sibling, in fact) is getting married somewhere in July this year. Am I happy? I'm not too sure about that.
Being a big sister, I suppose I am. Every woman loves the wedding preparation. Of course, the best part of the wedding is the preparation. Buying this, buying that. Sometimes you just might go over the budget limit. But, mine was under control. Managed to cut down on a lot of unnecessary things.
But that was 6 years ago. Now, it is his big day.
Then again, in organising such a big event like this, you might want to leave it to JW Marriott to handle everything or the wedding planner. That would cure a lot of headaches. Since, I don't think so we can afford that, we have to go back to the basics. The wedding planner for the groom has to be me - moi!
That's the thing about being the only female adult in the family. Yep, this time it is my responsiblity (to a certain extent) to organise a wedding for my brother. Both my mother and grandmother passed away which leaves me in-charge.
For one thing, I have to be a sister and a mother as well to him. There are times I do not know whether in a particular moment I should be a sister or a mother.
In many occasion, our side of the family is a little bit left out. The bride side is making quite a number of big decision without even discussing it with us. What's the point of having an engagement or to have the relationship officially blessed by both sides of the family, if there are no such dicussion about the wedding. Unless of course, if they wish to have it all at their place and bear all the cost totally.
How did I come to know about the proposed wedding date? Oh, by reading my future sister-in-law's blog. Not only that, more than half of the wedding preparation has been completed by the bride side. Great! They are already 4 months ahead of us. They have even booked the hall for the reception. Where was I?
Setting a wedding date without even checking whether the groom's family is okay with it, made me feel slightly offended. I don't know if all these while the groom himself has been making decisions without consulting us. But whatever it is, we were the last to know. Luckily, we are not the 'frantic' type. We still can handle it.
I don't mind much about what they have done. All we need on our side is the curtesy to be informed. Don't we at least deserve that? Just check whether whatever decision they've made is okay with us too. After all, wedding and marriage is about uniting two families together. Was that too much to ask?
Sunday, February 26, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment