
Whenever I write in English, that doesn't mean that I have forgotten my roots. That also doesn't mean that I am less Malay than I already am.
I wish to master a lot of languages but time doesn't permit me from doing so.
But there are those who went abroad and decided to become more English, French, German, etc. than the people who actually grew up there. I know a number of students who's studying abroad and I can easily divided them into two major groups.
One, those who fell strongly of their homeland and secondly, those who fell in love with the new land. The former felt closer to home whenever they are abroad. They are those who has a firm sense of identity, be it Malay, Chinese, Indian or other ethnic. This group never forget who they really are.
But, the latter tends to 'worship' the newfound freedom, culture and differentness which makes them slowly thinking that being who they truly are is not enough. They would rather be English, French, Spanish or German, simply because to them these people are so much better and so much advance than Malaysia itself.
Well, technology-wise, perhaps they are so much better, that's why our government sent them there in the first place. The government want them to be better exposed with their technological advancement, master them and then come home and show us what they've learnt. In doing so, kindly sift through any negative elements that they may feel tempted to bring home as well.
What am I saying, actually?
Please do not even try to belittle our own people, our own ethnic, our own forefather. It is our own culture and belief that made us who we are today. It is difficult for me to come to terms with a group of people who do not even believe in his own mother-tongue, who speaks fluent English (Spanish, French, whatever) and thinking that with Malay, one will not go far.
Go ahead, and master all the languages of the world. Language is the key to the vault of knowledge. But at the end of the day, it is your own language that you should be proud of.

4 comments:
Gosh. i agree 100% with what you mentioned. I've been in UK for couple of months and I don't see superiority of their culture in here. FOr this time being, me and my friends never change the way we eat with hands. Our senyum culture. Our malaysian culture in sum. I disagree with the fact that people who are being send to western country especially adopted western culture as they come home. Maybe slight yes but I believe it's more to positive thingy. In fact, Malaysian's student' perfomance is much much better than them. and YES, I learn a lot in here. I change. Far better than when I was in Malaysia.
I agree with you Puan Nisah.
We never can "delete" our race or change the colour of our eyeballs.
Using other languages (some times/some where) to me is not a crime.
I wish you best of luck and "Maju Jaya"
Dear Khainee & Ufukhati,
Thank you for dropping a line or two here. Appreciate your visit!
rgds,
Nisah Haron
*grinning*
know what,
this,
reminds me of "si tenggang's homecoming"
Post a Comment